Monday, October 31, 2005

Last Thursday I went for a GP placement. My partner and I were allowed to interview a patient at a clinic all on our own, and sit in during the GP's consultations with her patients. Basically we weren't supposed to do anything clinical, it was mainly for us to learn communication skills.. And our patient was hilarious. I was paired up with Keith, a local guy who's really nice and whom I do Histology practicals with. So there was just the three of us in the room, me, him, and a chubby 68 year old man. We started off by asking him why he was here at the doctor's today. He told us that he broke his ligament in his ankle. Naturally, we asked how. He started laughing and chortled, "Its personal.". More laughter from him ensued before he finally said (with a smirk, according to Keith.). "I was having fun." The two of us looked at each other and all three of us burst out laughing together. Bless him. I think it was a good experience because it reminded us what we're really in medical school for. Sometimes all that biochemistry and histology makes you lose sight of things a little.


Oh and Arundel was good! I'm so glad I went for the training because its made me feel more confident about bringing a physically or mentally disabled child out now. Am looking forward to it because its going to be such a rewarding experience, hopefully both for the child and myself!

No comments: