And so a brand new year begins. Which puts me in a mood for some reflections.
2004 just came and went so quickly. Around this time last year I was preparing to start a new phase of my life in a different country, full of trepidation and anxiety, and sadness and regret at having to leave those I loved most behind. Then the school term started, and the world being such a small place, I met Champ who went to the same primary school as me. We quickly became good friends, and I must say he has been a great source of encouragement and pillar of support all these while. Brutally honest, yes, but only in good faith.
Meanwhile, my closest friends on two different continents were experiencing problems of their own. Some over matters of the heart, some over rocky friendships or even family relations. We complained, whined, and bitched to each other online and over the phone, and tried to cheer each other up despite the distance between us.
Then certain feelings developed, and a new relationship started, along with many late night phone calls and early morning breakfasts. But it wasn't meant to last, and a change of heart brought it to an end. I remember the pain and anguish, but at the same time I also remember the love and care shown by the people around me, especially Puan, Nina, Jen, June and Tertia who were there when I needed them most.
Nina went back to Melbourne, and we started looking forward to December when we would next meet again. I and Puan began frequenting the club, where we would lie in the sun for hours, tanning and talking.
The summer holiday ended, and the first few weeks of school were all about UCAS, deciding what universities to apply to, editing and perfecting the personal statement, and it was such a relief to finally get it over and done with.
The initial awkwardness between me and him was also overcome, and a platonic relationship came into existence. But all wasn't well at home. Misunderstandings which resulted in a heated exchange of words between my mother and I severely damaged our relationship. Tears were shed, my father was at a loss, but luckily it all ended as we both realised how petty and childish we were.
Something else then happened, this time involving my closest friends. Alot of hurt and guilt and regret was involved, and I felt so helpless because I couldn't do anything at all except lend a listening ear, and offer words of encouragement. Still, they pulled through and emerged stronger, and wiser.
Then a friendship started to fall apart, and my initial frustration soon turned into resignation and acceptance that sometimes two people just aren't born to please each other. I got over it.
Then I remember this day in December, the day that Justin went for his Cambridge interview, was also the day that I received the interview letter from UCL, and I was simply over the moon. I spent a good one week panicking and preparing for
the interview (which was really quite an experience) and on the last day of school, I received the best Christmas present ever, in the form of an offer from UCL.
Home sweet home, and we all reunited for the Christmas holiday. More time was spent this time with Hui Boon, Justina and Yiting, and every outing with them was always enjoyable and filled with loads of laughter.
Looking forward, the only thing I hope for now is for me to be just a little bit more thankful and appreciative of all that I have. And right now, with a caring and supportive family, and wonderful friends, I daresay that I am wholeheartedly content with all that I am blessed with.
No comments:
Post a Comment