The end of my first proper week at school. Its been a whole new experience for me so far. I've gotten to know my friends better, and it might be too early to judge but I guess I can say I can click better with some than with others. However I don't seem to be able to mix around much with people outside my course, simply because the medics are stuck in the same building all the time, which is quite frustrating. (Variety is the spice of life, I say.)
Lectures haven't been very useful either, this is the foundation year so we learn somewhat mundane things like "Diet and Health". Also, once a week we go to a UCL campus in a hospital (I've been assigned to the oldest and most gritty hospital) and learn Professional Development Skills. (Communication skills and ethics and stuff)Its like the non academic part of the course. We are put in groups- and on the first day we were supposed to sit in a circle and tell everyone our names. And after everyone finished, the tutor suddenly asked me, out of everyone else, to recite everyone's names again. Like, ?!?! I got less than half correct. Especially those angmoh guys! Mark, James, Keith, Adam, ay all sound the same, and they don't look very different to me either! Sorry man. So I was going "Er.. Mark? No? Ok.. Keith?".
Also when I introduced myself, my tutor said to me, "And is that a Thai accent I hear?" Ha, ha.
I'm also less grumpy about my Hall, because I realised that compared to the others, its pretty good. Some of my friends stay 30mins away in Camden- a lower income-group area; druggies and hoodies galore. While I get to stay, for the first time in my life, in a prime residential area! I have to admit, I like the fact that I look out of my window and I see those tall glass buildings of big banks.
So its only now that I really feel excited about starting a whole new chapter of my life; the path ahead is long and ardous, but its what I chose, and what I want. Just 6 more years, baby! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment